Monday, 30 April 2012
Saturday, 28 April 2012
- Baby hamsters leave thier mothers at 3-4 weeks
- They sleep a lot more than adult hamsters
- Hamsters can remember their relatives, so babies will remember their mum
- Once baby hamsters are a week old, the parents will most likely not eat them
Thursday, 26 April 2012
Wednesday, 25 April 2012
- Bean Sprouts
- Bok Choy
- Cabbage (Limited amounts)
- Corn on the Cob
- Dandelion Leaves
- Green Beans
- Romaine Lettuce
- Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet bell Peppers
- Swiss Chard
- Water Chestnuts
- Water Cress
Tuesday, 24 April 2012
Monday, 23 April 2012
Saturday, 21 April 2012
- They are solitary and must never be kept in groups or pairs
- They come in a lot of colours, so are very popular
- They need at least 75x50cm cage space
- They are the biggest of the domesticated hamster species
Friday, 20 April 2012
Thursday, 19 April 2012
Super late, I know and I'm sorry! I had work experience today and its all been very full on and well...I forgot.
So, quiet is my q. Hamsters have super sensitive hearing so any loud noises are 10 times louder for them. Because of this it is best if you keep noise low when around them, so you don't scare them or hurt their ears :).
Wednesday, 18 April 2012
Tuesday, 17 April 2012
Monday, 16 April 2012
Saturday, 14 April 2012
Friday, 13 April 2012
Thursday, 12 April 2012
Wednesday, 11 April 2012
- Make sure you talk to it a lot so it gets used to your voice
- Never approach it from behind or above
- When picking it up ensure they see your hand first
- Try to avoid loud noises where possible
Tuesday, 10 April 2012
Monday, 9 April 2012
Sunday, 8 April 2012
Saturday, 7 April 2012
Friday, 6 April 2012
Thursday, 5 April 2012
Wednesday, 4 April 2012
Also known as Siberian or Russian winter white hamsters. These hamsters change colour in winter to white so it is easier to hide in the wild. They come in 3 main colours, pearl (white) which do not change in winter, natural (mucky brown, their original colour) and sapphire (a grey/blue).
Most pet shops sell the Russian hybrid hamsters that can often be mistaken for Djungarian hams. You can tell they are winter whites if they change colour in winter, or by their head shape.
Tuesday, 3 April 2012
I now own three chinese hamsters, two males and one female, and like to think I know a fair bit about them. For starters, they need as much space as you can afford to give them, and preferably deep cages and lots of substrate because they love to dig.
Wherever possible chinese hamsters should live alone. Females inparticular tend to fight to the death on many occasions, but males are slightly more tolerant of each other (like mine, but I did not buy them from a pet shop together - see this post for more info).
The best thing about chinese hamsters is they are so friendly. Pea often clings to my finger or darts in and out of my clothing, sometimes even falling asleep in my sleeve or pocket. They are lovely little things and it is a shame they can be so unpopular because of how they look.