Saturday 21 April 2012

Syrians

Syrian hamsters, my favourite type! All hamsters are wonderful in their own way, but syrians have a special place in my heart. They are the biggest of the hamster varieties, most of the time they are the cuddliest, and I find they have the most profound personalities, at least out of my lot.

My syrian Munchkin is a sable banded, and around 1 and a half years old. I love him to bits, and after owning him I don't think I will ever be withut a syrian hamster. If you are new to hamsters the best variety to get is a syrian due to their easy-to-tame nature and large size.

The only downside to having a syrian is they need a lot of space, which means big cages. This wasn't an issue for me but I know for some people it can be :).

Some basic facts:
  • They are solitary and must never be kept in groups or pairs
  • They come in a lot of colours, so are very popular
  • They need at least 75x50cm cage space
  • They are the biggest of the domesticated hamster species


2 comments:

  1. Aw he's so cute! I've been around a few Syrian hamsters but never had one of my own. There are a couple small animal rescues in our area that work with hamsters of all kinds so I've gotten to visit with a bunch through them. It's been great!

    Anna@ Herding Cats & Burning Soup

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to have a Dwarf Russian Hamster... who was tiny... and very cute.

    Chippy

    ReplyDelete